The Archdiocese of Baltimore is committed to providing quality, healthy ministry for all persons, particularly for our children and youth. All volunteers are required to complete VIRTUS screening and training.
The Home/School Association (HSA) and the students of St. Joseph School (SJS) truly appreciate parent (and grandparent) volunteer help with the many programs and events throughout the year.
Committees that need parent volunteers can be found on the 2019/2020 Volunteer Signup Genius. Below is a list of volunteer committees.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES for 2019-2020
- Baked Goods - Volunteers are asked to provide baked goods to help with hospitality events such as open houses, teacher luncheons and Grandparents' Day. This is a great way to volunteer if you cannot be at school during the day. Several volunteers are needed. Baked goods can usually be dropped off in the office the morning of the event. Chairperson: Claire Sherman - Timing: Ongoing
- Birthday Book Program - The Birthday Book Program is a great way to share a love of reading by making a small donation towards the purchase of a new book to the SJS Library in celebration of your child’s birthday. A nameplate is placed in the “Birthday Book” with the individual’s name and year of donation. The Chairperson is responsible for sending the to parents on a monthly basis and printing nameplates for the books to give to the librarian. Chairperson: Michele Krueger - Timing: Ongoing
- Book Fair - SJS will have a book sale event that benefits the library. The Chairperson works with Scholastic to reserve the fair dates and coordinate delivery of materials. Several volunteers are needed for a variety of shifts including set-up and breakdown of the event and helping students navigate the fair and purchase books. The fair will take place during the teacher conferences and the following school day. Chairperson: Kelly Atkins - Timing: October 7th and 8th (set up on October 6th)
- Boxtops for Education - Chairperson collects and redeems Boxtops for Education. Proceeds fund class field trips. Chairperson: Kasey Gangi - Timing: Ongoing
- Carpenter’s Cup - Many volunteers are needed to help plan and execute the Carpenter’s Cup, a golf tournament that benefits the parish and school. Volunteers are needed to assist with the day's events including securing hole sponsorships, planning raffles, gathering prizes and boosting participation. Chairperson: OPEN - Timing:May 2020
- Carpool Pantry - Carpool Pantry is held once a month, usually on Friday mornings during the carpool drop-off. It coincides with and supplements St Joseph Parish's Food Pantry donations to the Franciscan Center. Carpool Pantry is led by a select group of eighth grade students with parent supervisors. Chairperson: Lisa Shehan - Timing: One Friday per month
- School Fundraising Sale - Genevieve's - Each year, the school participates in a school-wide fundraiser. A few parents are needed to help the Chairperson sort the orders during a pre-determined delivery day. Chairperson(s): Michelle Jones and Dawn Conklin - Timing: September/October
- Hospitality Committee - Parents are needed to help set up and host refreshments for various school events like the Health Fair, lower and middle school open houses and Grandparents' Day. Chairpersons: Brook Kurrle and Casey Ryan - Timing: Ongoing
- Hot Lunch Day - Volunteers are needed to help sort and distribute food on days the school provides lunch. Look for separate Sign Up specific to Hot Lunch coming soon. Chairpersons: Raly Baltchev and Sylvia Tsakalos - Timing Weekly
- Jingle Bell Shop - Right before Christmas, students shop the Jingle bell Shop: a $5-and-under selection of Christmas gifts their children in PreK through Grade 5 can buy for grandparents, parents, brothers and sisters and family friends. Volunteers are needed to work in shifts to set up and break down the store, work with children as they navigate their budgets and decision-making process and help at registers. Chairpersons: Jennifer Sfakianoudis and Sylvia Tsakalos - Timing: December 11, 2019
- Lunch & Learn Speaker Series - This special luncheon for middle school students is held several times a year and features a keynote speaker from our community to talk about their career. Volunteers are needed to help set up, serve lunch, and clean up. Requires about two hours on the day of the event. Chairperson: Dawn Wagner - Timing: 4-5 events per year
- Middle School Christmas Shopping Event - Middle Schoolers walk to Target to shop for Christmas gifts for their family. Parent volunteers are needed to help chaperone the students on the walk and in the store. Chairperson: Kathleen Becker - Timing: December 13, 2019
- PB&J Sandwiches - Every Thursday, students make and collect peanut butter or cheese sandwiches for clients of Our Daily Bread. Volunteers are needed to drive the boxes of sandwiches to Our Daily Bread each week. Chairperson: Cassidy Kapfhammer - Timing: Weekly on Thursday
- Playground Aides - Many volunteers are needed to monitor the playground during children’s recess from about 11:30 to 1:00 PM. Look for a separate Sign Up Genius in Office Notes for this committee. Chairperson: Katie Gould - Timing: Ongoing
- Race for Education - This is one of our biggest fundraisers of the year and many hands are needed to help make it a great day for our children! Students raise money and compete with one another as they run, walk, or jog around school grounds joined together in school spirit to raise money for SJS. Chairperson: Michelle Gorra and Shannon Regan - Timing: May 1, 2020
- Restaurant Nights - SJS sponsors several restaurant nights throughout the year. Parents get a night off from cooking, and SJS gets a portion of the proceeds. Past events have included Chick Fil A, California Pizza Kitchen and Sweet Frog. The Chairperson contacts various restaurants to set up special fundraising nights. Chairperson: Angela Fabula
- Room Parents - Volunteers are needed to act as a parent liaison for their child’s homeroom teacher and coordinate assistance for any needs the teacher may have. If you are interested,please contact Anne Bailey at email@example.com, and include the name(s) and grade(s) of your children before the school year begins. Assignments will be decided and announced in later this summer. Room Parent Coordinator: Anne Bailey - HSA Secretary
- Bowling with Boys - Bowling with Boys takes place the same evening as the Father/Daughter Snowball Dance. Bowling with boys is an opportunity for mothers, grandmothers, guardians or a special family friend to spend time bowling with the boys, while the girls are dancing. The Chairperson will work with the local bowling alley to secure use of their facility for a bowling night, plus coordinate the other small tasks such as diamondmind and the signup genius. Chairperson: Trish Wall - Timing: February 1 (snow date February 7)
- Snowball Dance - Snowball Dance takes place the same evening as Bowling with Boys. The Snowball Dance is an opportunity for fathers, caregivers, guardians or a special friend to spend time dancing with the girls, while the boys are bowling. The event takes place in the MPR. The Chairperson is responsible for securing a DJ and coordinating ticket sales, decorations, photos and refreshments. Parents are needed to help with setup, clean up and refreshments. Chairpersons: Kristy Shanahan and Chris Miller - Timing: February 1 (snow date February 7)
- Baltimore St. Patrick’s Day Parade - If you’ve always wanted to march in a parade, this is your big chance! SJS families proudly carry the St. Joseph School banner in the annual parade downtown. Children dress in their school uniforms and Irish garb accompanied by parents. The Chairperson is responsible for communication to participants and organizing the group on parade day. Chairperson: OPEN - Timing: March 15, 2020
- SCRIP Program - This is an ongoing fundraising opportunity for parents: by purchasing gift cards for friends and families through SCRIP, a percentage of the profits are donated to the school. The Chairperson is responsible for placing orders and managing our account through SCRIP. Chairperson: Laura Wagner - Timing: Ongoing
- SJS – Adult "Back to School" Social - After school begins, parents gather in the courtyard on a Friday night to reconnect after the summer. The event is BYOB and parents provide appetizers and desserts. Volunteers are needed for set up and clean up for the event. Chairperson: Katie Straume -Timing: September 20, 2019
- SJS - Spring Adult Social - This is always a fun night out for SJS parents. Plans are still being made for this event. Several volunteers will be needed to help plan the event. Chairpersons: Molly Bell and Brook Kurrle -Timing: March 28, 2020
- Teacher Luncheons - This is a wonderful way to support the school’s most valuable resource: its teachers. Parents host several luncheons a year in the Conference Room or MPR to offer teachers a moment to relax and converse with colleagues over lunch in the middle of a hectic day. Volunteers are needed for set up and clean up. All lunches take place during the school day or immediately after school. Chairpersons: Stephanie McClure and Mindi Fields -Timing: 10/18, 12/19, 1/31. 6/11 (April/May lunch date TBD)
- Trunk or Treat - A Halloween event for the whole family as families can decorate their cars and hand out candy. Kids and parents alike dress up to play games, trunk or treat and have fun. Parents are needed to help with setup, clean up and refreshments. Chairperson: Danielle Karavedas and Anne McHugh - Timing: October 25 (rain date October 27)
- Used Uniform Sales - Donated used uniforms are offered for sale at $5 a piece. The uniform “shop’” is open at the end of summer prior to the start of the school year and at various times throughout the year. The Chairperson is responsible for organizing inventory and advertising sale dates. Parent volunteers are needed to assist with the organization and running the sale. Chairperson: Maryellen DeLuca - Timing: 3-4 sales throughout the year
Volunteer and Visitor Procedures
Visitors must follow the procedures listed below:
- Upon entering the building, visitors must check-in to the School Office.
- A drivers license is needed so that it may be scanned and approved.
- When leaving the campus, please report back to the School Office to turn in your badge.